Serves 6. Prep and cook time: 1 hour.
Sweet Potato Mash
- 6 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- salt to taste
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg white
- 3 cups pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius (300 degrees Fahrenheit). Combine brown and white sugar with cinnamon and salt in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Add pecan halves and toss gently until fully coated. Pour in the sugar mixture and toss to coat pecans again.
- Spread pecans on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes, stirring gently halfway.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Peel and chop sweet potatoes into bite-sized pieces.
- Add sweet potato and a generous pinch of salt to the pot of boiling water. Cook until sweet potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork (depending on size, check after 20 minutes and every 5 minutes thereafter until done).
- Drain sweet potatoes. Mash in butter and add in a little bit of milk at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve sweet potato mash with candied pecans as garnish. Store remainder of pecans in air-tight container at room temperature for up to two weeks.