Do you ever find it difficult to consume the recommended number of vegetables each day? We’ll share with you our secret to reaching our daily dose of veggies. The trick is to spice them up and make them taste really good. Corn is a great source of vitamin B6, vitamin C, and potassium. It’s also high in fiber, which contributes to a well-balanced diet. Whether you’re wanting to keep warm and cozy during the wintertime, or looking for the right grilled chicken pairing at a picnic or BBQ during the summertime, this spicy creamed corn recipe is versatile and can be enjoyed at any time of year. All it takes is 30 minutes to transform this simple veggie into a comforting side dish. Pro Tip: Whip this recipe up for one of your upcoming holiday parties.
- 2 Tablespoons of unsalted butter
- ½ yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 cups of kernel corn
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of green chilies
- 1 Tablespoon of green onions
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 tablespoon of cilantro
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Over medium heat, add 1 teaspoon of butter and the chopped yellow onion to a large frying pan. Caramelize for around 15 minutes.
- Add in the corn and red peppers, sauteing for around 4 minutes.
- Then, add the tomatoes, chili powder, and cumin. Stir together and continue cooking for about 3 minutes.
- Add flour, stirring until it’s been mixed well.
- Next, add in the milk, and bring to a boil, letting the mixture thicken.
- Once it starts to boil, turn down the heat to low. Add in salt and pepper. The mixture should be thick.
- Top with cilantro and green onions.
- Serve hot.
Next time your nutritionist tells you to fill half your plate with veggies, we have a feeling you won’t object!
Jackie Marson | Contributing Writer