Indulge in a nutritious treat with our 4-Topping Veggie Pizza featuring a wholesome whole wheat crust. It is a great way to satisfy your cravings while staying healthy if you’re a vegetarian or simply seeking a lighter alternative to traditional pizzas. Get ready to savour the tastes, all crafted in the comfort of your kitchen.
Ingredients: Whole Wheat Dough
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
1 packet (2 ¼ tsp) active dry yeast
1 cup lukewarm water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp honey
½ tsp salt
1 cup tomato sauce (homemade or store-bought)
1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or vegan cheese)
1 cup sliced bell peppers (red, green, or yellow)
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
Fresh basil leaves for garnish
Whole Wheat Dough
- In a small bowl, combine the lukewarm water and honey. Stir until the honey dissolves, then add the dry yeast. Let it sit for about 5 minutes until it becomes frothy.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the whole wheat flour and salt. Pour in the yeast mixture and olive oil. Mix until a dough starts to form.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5-7 minutes or until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
- Preheat your oven to 450°F (230°C) while the dough rises.
Assembling the Pizza
- Once the dough has risen, punch it down and transfer it to a lightly floured surface. Roll it out into your desired pizza shape and thickness.
- Place the rolled-out dough on a baking sheet or pizza stone.
- Spread the tomato sauce evenly over the dough, leaving a small border around the edges.
- Sprinkle a generous layer of shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the sauce.
- Arrange the sliced bell peppers, mushrooms, and halved cherry tomatoes over the cheese.
- Sprinkle dried oregano and red pepper flakes (if used) to add extra flavour and kick.
Slide the prepared pizza into the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until the crust turns golden brown and the cheese is bubbly and slightly browned.
Once the pizza is ready, please remove it from the oven and let it cool for a minute or two.
Garnish with fresh basil leaves before serving.
Congratulations! Enjoy your pizza, knowing that you’ve prepared it from scratch. So, relish every bite of this veggie-packed goodness!
Jennifer Williams | Editor-in-Chief