Photo by Bryony Elena on Unsplash
The Caprese salad is a favourite classic during the hot summer months. With its colourful fresh ingredients, yet simple preparation, this salad has become a staple on menus and in home kitchens. Combining juicy tomatoes, creamy mozzarella, fragrant basil, and tangy balsamic glaze or vinegar creates a refreshing flavour. It is excellent as a light lunch, a side dish, or a centrepiece at a gathering.
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- 8 ounces (225 grams) of fresh mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Balsamic glaze or balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the tomatoes and slice them into 1/4-inch-thick rounds.
- Slice the fresh mozzarella cheese into 1/4-inch-thick slices as well.
- Arrange the tomato and mozzarella slices on a serving platter, alternating them.
- Take the fresh basil leaves and tuck them in between the tomato and mozzarella slices.
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the salad.
- For added flavour, sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper over the salad.
- Finally, drizzle balsamic glaze or balsamic vinegar over the salad. Reduce balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over low heat until it thickens into a glaze-like consistency.
- Serve the Caprese Salad immediately, and enjoy!
You can adjust the quantities of the ingredients based on your preference and the number of servings needed. Feel free to garnish with additional basil leaves if desired.
A Caprese Salad brings a delightful coolness to your table as temperatures rise. If you’re enjoying a picnic in the park, hosting a backyard barbecue, or simply seeking a light and refreshing dish, the Caprese Salad is a go-to choice.
So, let the refreshing taste take you to the sunny days and breezy evenings of the summer season.
Jennifer Williams | Editor-in-Chief