Nothing beats a home cooked meal. But it isn’t just the flavourful food that brings joy to the table, rather it’s spending quality time with those sitting around it.
I am fortunate that I continue to remain close with my aunt and uncle who stepped in as what I consider to be a second mom and dad while I was growing up. Over the years they offered their wisdom, life lessons, captivating stories, and you guessed it – recipes.
The other day, my uncle had whipped up his homemade Chicken Parmesan while we were over. We were all gathered around the table with full bellies, and big smiles. The following day, I took some leftovers to work which sparked a conversation with my colleague, and instantly I began reminiscing on the good times.
So, no, this isn’t magical Chicken Parmesan, but I can say with certainty that if you gather your cherished family members or good friends, and make this dish for them, you’ll find that the power of shared moments will forever create memories while teaching you to savor life’s simplest pleasures.
Cooking and Preparation Time: 50 minutes
- Rao’s Marinara Sauce
- PC Tre Formaggi Shredded Cheese Blend
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Optional: Pecorino
- Organic Boneless Chicken Breast
- Black Pepper
- All purpose flour
- Slice the chicken breast horizontally in half.
- Then use a mallet to tenderize the chicken breasts starting in the centre and working outward.
- Pour flour into a big plate and coat each chicken breast in the flour. Next, Sprinkle salt and pepper on the chicken breast.
- Add oil to a large skillet over medium heat and fry each chicken breast for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Then lightly oil a baking pan and spread Rao’s marinara sauce on the bottom of it. Place chicken on top and then add Marinara sauce on top of the chicken.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and bake for half an hour or more until bubbly and sauce has reduced.
- Take the cooked chicken out of the oven and top with PC and Parmesan cheese or pecorino.
- Put the chicken back in the oven for about 5-10 minutes or until cheese has melted and is golden.
- While chicken is baking, heat up tomato sauce in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water and set it to boil over high heat on the stove top. Cook spaghetti for 8-10 minutes, stirring every so often. Drain the pasta while saving a tiny it of pasta water. Then add the heated tomato sauce to it.
- Take chicken out of the oven and serve chicken parmesan over top of pasta.
- Sprinkle more Parmesan on top.
Jackie Marson | Contributing Writer