Start your day off right with a nutritious and tasty breakfast of whole wheat waffles topped with juicy blueberries. This recipe is a surefire way to satisfy your taste buds while also providing your body with essential nutrients like fibre and protein from whole wheat flour.
Not only is this dish quick and easy to prepare, but it also has a long shelf life, making it perfect for on-the-go mornings or for storing in the freezer for later consumption. The waffles have a crispy outer layer and a fluffy, moist texture on the inside, bursting with the fresh taste of blueberries.
Whether you make a batch for immediate consumption or freeze leftovers for later, whole wheat waffles with blueberries are a delicious and healthy addition to any mealtime.
- 2 ½ tbsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tbsp of Salt (Iodized or sea salt)
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ tbsp sugar
- 1 Egg
- ¼ cup oil (olive, coconut, or vegetable oil, etc.)
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- ½ cup frozen or fresh blueberries
- ¼ tsp vanilla
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to prepare delicious waffles:
1. Begin by preheating your waffle iron.
2. In a suitable size bowl, combine all the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
3. In a separate bowl, mix oil, vanilla, milk, and frozen blueberries, then add it to the mixture in the first bowl.
4. Whisk both eggs and add them to the mixture as well.
5. Stir and fold the batter until it becomes thick, smooth, and free of lumps.
6. Pour the batter onto the waffle iron and allow it to bake until done, following the instructions on the waffle iron.
7. Once done, remove the golden-brown waffles from the iron and serve them with butter and your favourite syrup.
These blueberry whole wheat waffles would complement your usual breakfast dishes, like scrambled eggs and sausages, especially when topped with maple syrup and butter. Enjoy!
Dwayne Brown | Contributing Writer