Don’t let the fancy name deceive you. This dish is easy to prepare with everyday ingredients found in your kitchen pantry, fridge, or local store. The Mediterranean tart is packed with nutritious and delicious vegetables and a crispy crust that bursts with flavour. It’s a quick meal to prepare and has an attractive look when done baking.
– Feta cheese (110g)
– Ready-rolled light puffed pastry (320g)
– Cherry tomatoes (120-130g)
– 1/2 Red onion (small, sliced thinly)
– 1 medium-large zucchini (sliced thinly)
– 1 Bell pepper (large, sliced thinly)
– Olive oil (6 tbsp)
– 1 Garden egg (large)
– 1 Egg (beaten)
– Salt (1 tsp)
– Black pepper (1 tbsp)
– Black olives (12-15 pitted, sliced)
– Basil (chiffonade with a few fresh leaves)
– Flour (for dusting)
1. Preheat the oven to 195°C.
2. Next, in a baking pan add and mix zucchini, onion, garden egg, garlic, bell pepper, and tomatoes, half the oil, and roast them in the oven for about 10-12 minutes.
3. While the vegetables are roasting, take the thawed pastry sheet and lay it out on a work surface dusted with flour, and then transfer to a non-stick baking tray. Fold the edges of the pastry sheet to a rectangular or square with 2-2.5cm depth, brush the edges with egg or milk. Drizzle the remaining halved oil over the base of the tart, and add your roasted vegetables, olives, and cheese. Bake the tart in the oven at 200°C for 15-20 minutes.
4. Once it’s done, take it out of the oven and garnish it with some fresh basil leaves. Enjoy your delicious Mediterranean tart!
*Note: You can save time by purchasing pre-roasted vegetables. You can also add meat pieces if desired, such as sausage, ham, chicken, etc.
Dwayne Brown | Contributing Writer