With a blast of zesty flavours, tomato salsa is one of the best dishes for parties. You can add it to nearly any Mexican cuisine, or use it as a dip for your favorite chips. This dish is nutritious, has a fresh flavour, and is very simple to prepare.
Serving: 12-16 servings
Calories: 5-7 per serving estimate
Cooking and Preparation time – 20 Minutes
2-3 ripen but firm tomatoes.
1 red onion (whichever kind that you prefer)
½ cup of cilantro
2 tbsp lime juice
1 Jalapeno pepper (you can swap up with green chilli or serrano chilli)
1 Bell pepper
½ tsp salt (whichever kind that you prefer)
½ tsp fresh garlic (you can swap it with garlic powder)
- Chop the onion and tomato into big pieces.
- Cut the bell pepper (white ribs removed and seeds out) and the jalapeno pepper (seeds in).
- In a food processor or blender, add the tomatoes, onion, jalapeno pepper, bell pepper, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and garlic (to prevent over-blending the mixture, mince the garlic before adding to the blender).
- Pulse-blend the mixture to get the desired consistency; if you end up over blending, just strain out some of the liquid from the mixture. Check for salt, and if more is needed to suit your taste, add it.
- Devour the tomato salsa with your preferred tacos or chips!
Tomato salsa goes well with a variety of foods, including chips, burrito bowls, grilled chicken, and even breakfast quesadillas and wraps. To create a richer flavourful combination, store the tomato salsa in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Jeny Sara Varghese | Contributing Writer